Given today’s busy and hectic schedules, we really need to make self care a priority. With work, caring for kids, taking our kids to their after school activities and the endless other responsibilities, life can become overwhelming. For us busy moms who have a tendency to put our kid’s needs first, it may bring up feelings of guilt. As a result, we must learn to sit with these feelings and realize that we are not at our best when we are exhausted. “Taking good care of yourself means that people in your life receive the best of you rather than what is left of you,” is a great quote by Lucille Zimmerman.
Here are some daily simple things we can do to make self care a priority.
1. Before you get out of bed, practice some deep breathing exercises while stretching.
2. Make a little time to go outside and be in nature.
3. Call a friend.
4. Make time to exercise and be realistic with your time. If you cannot go to the gym, try doing some exercise at home like doing push-ups, walking up and down the stairs, doing some yoga poses and stretches or going for a walk.
5. Take 5 minute breaks throughout the day and practice diaphragmatic breathing. Maybe you can repeat a word like breath to quiet your mind while breathing.
6. Eat healthy snacks throughout the day and drink plenty of water.
7. Journal for 10 minutes a day, ideally in the morning or afternoon in order not to avoid or repress feelings.
8. Meditate once a day for 10 minutes.
9. Have realistic expectations of yourself.
10. Spend quality time with your loved ones with an emphasis of just being together.